Last week we all enjoyed Chef Richard's Maple Infused Baked Beans recipe and this week we are sharing Chef Julie's favourite maple recipe, Maple Mousse.
While Richard may be the king of the kitchen at Crossroads most nights, Chef Julie spends her days hard at work in our bake shop preparing all the delicious sweet treats that finish off your favourite meal.
Julie's Maple Mousse
- 8 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups dark maple syrup
- 5 gelatine leafs soaked in ice cold water
- 2 cups of whipping cream (will make 4 cups once whipped)
- Whip cream and set aside, it is very important to not over whip the cream.
- In a large stainless steel bowl, whip together egg yolks and brown sugar.
- Add the two cups of maple syrup to this mixture and put over a bain marie on high to medium heat whisking constantly. You want to make sure your bowl fits perfectly into the pot to ensure the mixture will heat evenly.
- Cook mixture until hot to touch but not boiling. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Take gelatine leafs in your hand and squeeze out any water. Whisk gelatine leafs into the warm mixture.
- Let the mixture cool for around 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. It should be cooled but still slightly warm.
- Fold in the four cups of whipped cream with spatula and mix until encorporated.
- Put mixture into desired dishes or crust.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let set in fridge for two hours.
- Serve and enjoy!